According to the Cambodia Trademark Law, the term of protection of trademark shall be 10 years from the date of filing the application and it can be renewable for unlimited times. A application of trademark renewal in Cambodia is required to file within six months before the expiry date. However, a grace period of six months is allowed with an additional surcharge.
1. Requirements for trademark renewal in Cambodia
In order to file the trademark renewal in Cambodia, the following documents are required:
- An original notarized Power of Attorney (POA). Scanned copy of the POA is accepted at filing, the original one must be submitted within 1 month later;
Please be noted that under the current rules, the notarization must be done in the country of the Applicant and the following paragraph in the POA should be done even in case there is a specific form of each Notary Office:
“I hereby certify the above firm is a juristic person duly organized under the laws of ____________ and that the signature above is that of ____________(name), (title)_____________who is duly authorized to sign on behalf of the above-mentioned firm.”
- Concerning copy of Certificate of trademark registration with the endorsement of Affidavit of Use or Non-Use OR copy of Notice of Acceptance of Affidavit of Use or Non-Use, if the Affidavit has been filed before;
- Specimen of the trademark in JPG. File with resolution at least 600DPI.
2. Cost for trademark renewal in Cambodia
The renewal fees can be paid during the 6-month period preceding the date of expiry and for a 6-month grace period after the date of expiry.
The total cost including both official fees and all-inclusive attorney’s and disbursements for the recordal of trademark renewal in Cambodia.
3. Time frame
It takes approximately 5 months from the filing date to complete the recordal of trademark renewal in Cambodia
Please be noted that according to the Cambodia Trademark Act, if an Affidavit of use/Non-use has not yet been filed to Department of Intellectual Property of Cambodia within one year following the 5th anniversary of the date of registration, when the trademark owner wishes to file renewal, the filing of an affidavit is required simultaneously.
More information about trademark practice in Cambodia can be found HERE.
In case you require more information or require advice on trademark in Cambodia or Intellectual Property right in Myanmar, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia as well as other IP matters, please do not hesitate to contact us via email: email@example.com